- 1 pound (454 grams) Persian cucumbers (about 7 pieces), rinsed and trimmed of ends
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar (seasoned or unseasoned is fine!)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated or pounded to a fine paste with a pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds or chopped toasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro leaves
Recipe by Samin Nosrat
Place cucumbers in a gallon-size zipper bag and seal. Use a rolling pin or small skillet to gently smash cucumbers until flattened and splitting lengthwise. Tear cucumbers into rough 1- to 1 ½-inch pieces and transfer to a large bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together salt, vinegar, sugar, and garlic, until sugar is dissolved. Add to cucumbers and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes, or up to 3 hours.
To serve, drain cucumbers, discarding excess dressing. Taste cucumbers and adjust salt if needed, then spoon onto a rimmed plate in a generous mound. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or peanuts and top with cilantro. Serve immediately.
You completed Smashed Cucumber Salad.